Dana Farber Cancer Institute - The Jimmy Fund Clinic
Located in Boston and the surrounding communities, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute brings together world renowned clinicians, innovative researchers and dedicated professionals, allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow's physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
The Nurse Manager is responsible for day to day patient flow and operations in a specific clinical unit. Responsibilities include coordination and supervision of assigned nursing and clinical assistant staff as they provide care to individuals receiving therapy for oncologic and hematologic problems. The Nurse Manager will oversee direct patient care, including patient and family education. The Nurse Manager will delegate triage of unexpected patients to the triage nurse and will modify nursing assignments as needed to meet the needs of patients. The Nurse Manager provides clinical leadership and management, and promotes professional growth for self and staff. The Nurse Manager demonstrates systems thinking, response to diversity, collaboration, clinical judgment, clinical inquiry, facilitation of learning and advocacy for patients and staff. Manager acts as the unit-based clinical expert, Specific duties and responsibilities may vary across the different programs and areas. The Nurse Manager uses theoretical, evidence-based, and experiential knowledge to advance clinical practice. Serves as a mentor for clinical staff within Nursing and Patient Care Services to nurture leadership potential and to promote professional development of others. The Mission, Vision and Core values of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute are incorporated into all areas of practices.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Baccalaureate degree required; Baccalaureate degree in nursing preferred
- Master's degree.
- Certification in Oncology Nursing, OCN, ACON, or CPON strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years oncology experience required, leadership or charge nurse experience preferred
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaboration: Has direct involvement in patient care, and practice issues, involves/recruits diverse resources when appropriate to optimize patient outcome. Recognizes the limits to clinical judgment and seeks multidisciplinary collaboration and consultation with dynamic situations.
- With the Nursing Director or Associate Chief Nurse, maintains administrative and clinical continuity within ambulatory services.
- Participates as an active member or substitute member for committees within the Department of Nursing and Patient Care Services requested by the Associate Chief Nurse.
- In collaboration with Clinical Specialist assures staff compliance with required competencies and annual requirements, ensures compliance with regulatory agency requirements.
- Demonstrates knowledge of computer systems in use at the Institute.
- Provides input into the annual budgetary process.
- Participates in the Nursing Leadership on-call schedule
- B. Systems Thinking: Develops, integrates and applies a variety of strategies that are driven by needs and strengths of the patient/family unit, disease center, and institutional. Negotiates and navigates systems for both clients and employees. Demonstrates leadership by directing patient flow, staff allocation, and assessing system issues.
- Develops daily staffing assignments for all clinic staff in collaboration with practice manager.
- Supports and/or provides patient care activities as needed.
- Supports and provides patient and family education.
- Responsible for patient flow, and coordination of care with the assistance of the triage nurse.
- Collaborates with Practice Manager to ensure compliance with unit policies and procedures.
- Assesses and intervenes to meet the needs of the patient population served.
- Monitors the environment of care with attention to patient safety.
- C. Personnel Management (Advocacy): Supports care of patient, family and community by carefully attention to include the DFCI mission in all decision making, and reflect mutually and competent patient/professional relationships.
- Supervises RN's, clinic assistants and phlebotomists.
- Oversees the hiring, orientation, evaluation, coaching and mentoring of staff in accordance with Human Resource policies and the MNA collective barging agreement. In collaboration with Clinical Specialists, provides unit based training/education/in-services/orientation.
- Promotes and encourages professional growth and leadership potential of staff.
- D. Clinical Inquiry: Improves or individualizes standards and guidelines for person or population, with attention to current practice, review of literature, research, and education, with acquired knowledge and skills needed to address questions arising in practice and improve patient care.
- Assists with development, implementation and monitoring of unit based quality improvement, safety and patient satisfaction activities that are consistent with the goals of the Department of Nursing and Patient Care Services
- Facilitates continuous quality improvement in processes and services as directed.
- Clinical Judgment: Synthesizes and interprets multiple, sometimes conflicting sources of data, can make judgment based on immediate understanding of situation, patient experience.
- Serves as unit based clinical expert.
- Coordinates and participates in unit based audits and monitoring of nursing quality indicators.
- Participates in the development of professional nursing practice and standards.
- Maintains practice that is evidence-based and consistent with nursing policies, procedures, and
- Fosters a systematic awareness of the diversity that exists within the organization including but
not limited to culture, ethnicity, gender, and age, and promotes an environment that is sensitive to
the needs of diverse patient populations.
- Complies with accepted standards of professional nursing practice, as well as with all licensure/registration requirements applicable to the nursing role.
- Facilitator of Learning: Seeks opportunities to teach, coach, and mentor, and to be taught, coached and mentored. Adapts educational objectives to both the patient population and the staff that serve them. Creatively modifies an individual's need, to create an environment of success.
- Participates in professional organizations and community activities.
- Participates in continuing education and role development:
- Demonstrates an understanding of the clinical research process
- Identifies personal goals in professional and educational activities that promote self-development.
- Functions in the leadership role:
- Works collaboratively with all members of the floor leadership multidisciplinary team.
- Serves as a role model for effective communication, problem solving, and conflict resolution for members of the team.
- Supports the research and evidence- based practice activities of Nursing and Patient Care Services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Critical thinking, collaboration and excellent communication skills.
- Clinical expertise with administration of chemotherapy and blood products.
Demonstrates understanding of special needs and behaviors of age groups of the population served: young adult to geriatric.
Provides direct and supervision to RN's, Clinic Assistants, and other support personnel. Number supervised may vary.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an equal opportunity employer and affirms the right of every qualified applicant to receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, military service, protected veteran status, or other groups as protected by law.
Education Required:4 Year Degree - BA
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :